Church of the Sacred Heart

Status message

Debug:
'calendar_plugin_style: The calendar row plugin is required when using the calendar style, but it is missing.'
in calendar_plugin_style->render() (line 228 of /var/www/vhosts/templemore.ie/httpdocs/sites/all/modules/calendar/includes/calendar_plugin_style.inc).

On January 1st 1877, Archbishop of Cashel & Emly, Dr Croke, laid the foundation stone for the Church of the Sacred Heart, on the site of a former residential Erasmus Smith school. Completed without the spire, Mass was celebrated for the first time, by Fr (later Canon) Meagher on Saturday 28th July 1883. The building in use as a church up to that time was then transformed into a school, in 1890 It is located at the south-eastern end of Main Street, it is now part of Our Lady's Secondary School, and is situated immediately inside the entrance gate. Prior to this the town 's main school was located at New Row, and was until recently the site of Tipperary Glass.